Proper Workplace Ergonomics
Office employees, production workers, and customer care professionals spend most of their sitting down on chairs and at desks that may not have the proper workplace ergonomics. It is not uncommon for our Broomfield chiropractor to treat work injury that is related to on-the-job sitting. If you have neck or back pain, feel soreness in your arms, wrist, or hands, or simply feel uncomfortable and tired while seated at work – it may be due to poor workplace ergonomics.
What is Workplace Ergonomics
Workplace ergonomics is the study of worksite activities, workplace furnishings, and the movements (or lack of movement) that workers make while performing worksite tasks for eight hours or more per day. Poor workplace ergonomics can lead to a work injury, loss of production, and poor quality work. The science looks closely at interactions between the musculoskeletal system, nerves, tendons, and blood vessels and the work environment while seated, moving, or simply standing.
Reduce Work Injury with Improved Ergonomics
According to OSHA, “work-related Musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) are among the most frequently reported causes of lost or restricted work time, accounting for 33% of all worker injury and illness cases”. Here are some tips to reduce workplace injury due to office layout, ineffective office furniture, or bad worker positioning.
- Use a wrist-rest to minimize bending wrists up or down while typing,
- Adjust the chair so that feet rest on floor and knees are at hip-level
- Good sitting posture should keep the body-centered and the back straight
- Computer monitors should remain at arm’s length while working
- Worksurface height for standing workers should prevent the need to bend over
- Knee pads or work stools should be used to prevent squatting for long periods
- Frequently used items should be stored within easy reach
- Prevent screen glare by positioning light source towards the side
- Knees, legs, and thighs should have plenty room beneath desks
If you have suffered a workplace injury, contact Vitality Spine + Health to consult with a Broomfield chiropractor. We provide personalized services that fit your special needs from preventative to rehabilitation. Our goal is to help our clients achieve pain-free living and learn how to prevent further work injury to the spine.